photoshop tutorial: how to easily change a color using a layer mask
This is the perfect Photoshop tutorial for bloggers or entrepreneurs who want to quickly edit photos to match their brand colors.
Using a Photoshop color + layer mask is a super simple way to keep your brand colors consistent and get custom-style imagery from free stock resources like Unsplash. My clients are always wanting to know more about branding their social media images and editing photos in a way that stays ' on brand'. Color is one of the strongest visual elements for a visual brand & lucky for you, a simple one to manipulate in your images.
Although I'm providing a simple written tutorial, the magic happens in the video. If you can't watch it now, pin it for later or bookmark the page. :)
How to re-color in Photoshop step by step
- Import image to PS
- duplicate the layer image (in case you fuck up) and turn off the original's visibility
- select the areas you want to edit using the magic wand tool
- click the layer mask tool on the layers panel
- create a new layer
- use the paint bucket tool to fill the new layer with your desired color
- change the color layer to 'color' under layer styles
- drag the mask box from the image layer onto the color layer (now the color is masked, not the image)
- Boom! new color. You can use the paint bucket to edit the overlay color.